07 April, 2011

Story Engine Alpha 1

Games are a big hobby of mine. Card games, board games, or the thing that made me study Computer Science: Computer games.

I gripe a lot about how computer games are shallow, do not evolve much (apart from the indies which have had a hugely successful year with Minecraft and World of Goo), but mostly: How all, including the vast majority of indie games, are about one thing, and one thing only: Combat.

I do not think I exaggerate when I claim that 99 out of a hundred games are purely about killing, murdering, shooting or slashing enemies. Be they humans, be they zombies, aliens, robots, tanks, ships, spacecraft, military, monsters, dragons, bugs or even abstract shapes. Seriously, why does this hobby come down to killing so much? I can accept that a game without conflict would not work very well, and of course, combat is a form of conflict that we all understand. But on the other hand, is it really necessary? Can't we have conflict without death?

I could rant on and on, and much to my friends annoyance, I frequently do. And "do it yourself then!" is such an annoying argument.

So that is what I did.

I hereby release the absolutely first version of a piece of software that I hope will inspire some people to create something more than just murder simulators.

Downloads: See bar to the right.

How to install:
1. Install the AIR application (you might need AIR from Adobe)
2. Unpack the zip into the application directory, so the xmls are in the same folder as the .swf and the pictures are in a subfolder.

1 comment:

  1. I just started to download this, but I want you to know that I'm already really excited!

    Thanks a lot for putting this up for everyone to use! I hope I can come back to you later with a really great finished game.

    ReplyDelete